Questions to help assess and intervene around mental health concerns:
- People often understand their problems in their own way, which may be similar to or different from how doctors describe the problem. How would you describe your problem?
- How would you describe your problem to your family or friends?
- What troubles you most about your problem?
- Why do you think this is happening to you? What do you think are the causes of your problem?
- Note: Latinos have strong family networks. Family support can help alleviate the stigma of a mental disorder. Encourage my patients to bring their parent, spouse or child to their appointments