Culturally empathetic visits with members of the LGBTQ+ culture/community:
- Introduce yourself with your pronouns - " Hi I'm Dr. Soandso and my pronouns are She/Her/Hers."
- Ask if the individual has mental or physical health concerns related to sexual or gender status
- Ask if the individual's experience during the pandemic has been more difficult because of sexual or gender status.
- Ask if the individual has felt respected, safe, and autonomous where and with whom they have been sheltering.
- It is okay to explain that you need help understanding clearly how the pandemic created or increased someone's health needs. We are all learning as this is an unprecedented time and most people will welcome the opportunity to increase your knowledge and understanding of their culture and experience.