Questions to help assess and intervene around mental health concerns
- Ask the patient more about their specific cultural and/or religious identity and use the patient’s provided language (e.g., Cantonese vs. Mandarin), which may require a translator
- People often understand their problems in their own way, which may be similar to or different from how doctors describe the problem. How would you describe your problem?
- Sometimes people have different ways of describing their problem to their family, friends, or others in their community. How would you describe your problem to them?
- Why do you think this is happening to you? What do you think are the causes of your [problem]?
- Are there any kinds of support that make your problem better, such as support from family, friends, or others?